Building a six pack Abs is like a dream for everyone. It is emerging as one of the most passionate goals among men and also in women. Everyone is trying harder to get the result.
But many of them quit it quickly due to many problems. The problem may not be due to less effort , but it is injury or de-motivation due to no result.
If you are still facing such problem, then relax and learn the best and effective way you can work hard effectively.
There are many claims for building Abs. But the biggest, simplest and successful way to achieve the goal is the right diet and the right training.
With right diet your 80% of work is done, and rest leave it to training.
To get quick you must adopt a healthy eating habit that can boost metabolism to burn calorie without any effort. So that your effort can burn extra more calorie.
Everyone wants a perfect six pack abs that should be visible. Know more about upper abs.
All About Upper Abs
Abs is divided into major and minor part. Upper Abs are “Rectus Abdominis and Serratus Anterior”, Lower Abs is “Transverse Abdominals and lower part of Abdomen” while Oblique Abs is “External Oblique and Internal Oblique”.
Upper Abs is the major part we have to work. It is starting foundation that we must focus first.
If we quickly shred extra fat stored beneath the Upper Abs, later we will quickly lose the fat stored beneath lower Abs and Oblique Abs.
So the best exercise that can stimulate the fat burning process under Abs muscle to burn fat stored deep under Upper Abdominal region is listed below.
Upper Abs Exercise #1: Basic crunch
- Lie on your back with your knee bend. Keep your feet flat to the ground.
- Place your hand behind the neck. (Tips: Lock your fingers, but slightly.)
- Curl up and push forward, lifting your neck slightly with the strength of the abdomen. (Tips: Push yourself by using the strength of the abdomen. Don’t use neck area to push. If you feel pain in the neck then it is a sign that you are not working properly.)
- For better result, you should pull your body upward without pushing with neck and don’t use hand to push. When you push upward, pause for a second and then go down. Repeat the same for 12-15 times. (For better result do it slowly)
It is basic Upper Abs Exercise. Instead of basic it is the most effective way to work on your Abs. If you are a beginner, I would recommend you firstly try Basic crunch.
Upper Abs Exercise #2: Raised leg Crunches
Raised leg crunch is another basic exercise but to increase is effectiveness and toughness we do this basic exercise with elevated
leg. By elevating leg we made it slightly harder to perform. So it makes Raised leg crunches more effective than Basic Crunches.
- Lie on your back with your knee bend. Keep your feet elevated above the ground forming 90 angles.
- Place your hand behind the neck.
- Curl up and push forward, lifting your neck slightly with the strength of the abdomen. For better result, you should pull your body upward without pushing with neck and don’t use hand to push. When you push upward, pause for a second and then go down. This complete one repetition.
Upper Abs Exercise #3: Wide-Leg Cross Sit Up
- Firstly, sit down on the ground and lay flat with leg wide spread wide.
- Extend your arm behind your head. Now using your core strength push yourself forward to touch your left toe with right arm and inhale slowly.
- Now you can lie down with both arms behind your head. Again, push forward yourself up to touch right toe with left arm. This complete your 1 repetition.
- Do it slowly using your core strength.
It is a basic form of crunch. But you can increase its difficulty by adding the weight of dumbbell or medicine ball.
Upper Abs Exercise #4: Swiss Ball Body Weight Crunches
- Sit down on the Swiss ball and roll out on the middle of the lower part of your back. Keep your hand back behind your ear,
just to support your neck and not to pull. Tips: Keeping your hand behind head increase weight, you can do it by keeping your hand above your chest.
- Keep your leg 90 parallel to the body and toe should touch the ground.
- Arc you back straight down to start. Keep your core tight, maintain a neutral spine and come up. Breathe out when you come up. Contract you core when you come up.
I found Scoot Herman video that can help you in a better way.
Tips: To increase the intensity level you can use dumbbells. Do it slowly contracting your core muscle instead of doing it in a hurry.
Upper Abs Exercise #5: Bicycle Crunches
- Lie flat on the ground, keeping your back pressed on the ground with legs straight. Now lift the knee in a table tabletop
position to make 45 angles.
- Keep your hand behind your neck and interlock the fingers.
- Now tighten you abs and lift your head slightly up. With the slow motion of both leg and arm, touch your right elbow with your left knee while straightening your right leg. Now do the same with left elbow and right knee.
Tips: To feel the burn you should do it slowly. Also, you can try it at a fast pace. Breathe in when you contract your core to touch the knee, and exhale when you go down. It is a basic exercise but work effectively on both Upper Abs as well as Lower Abs.
Upper Abs Exercise #6: Upper Ab V Ups
- Lie down the floor with your leg straight and extend your hand behind your head. Lift your hand and leg one inch from the
- Using your core muscle lift your both leg and hand in upward direction. You can lift it slightly to touch the knee to form V Shape. Exhale when you go up.
- It completes one set.
Tips: To increase intensity hold dumbbell between your legs.
Precaution: It is for beginners, but take care while doing this exercise. It is not recommended to increase intensity for people suffering from neck and back pain.
Exercise For Intermediate Level
Upper Abs Exercise #7: Sprinters Sit-ups
Sprinter Sit-ups in next best upper Abs workout. This exercise very powerfully on the upper Abs as it flexes the core totally as do
- Lie down on the ground with your leg straight and arm at your side, keep your arm at 90
- Now contract your core to raise your torso, push your right arm and left leg to touch your right elbow to your left knee. Your right leg and left arm should rest down.
- Go down slowly to the starting position. Again lift your right leg and left arm to touch your right knee and left elbow. This complete your one repetition.
- As we perform this exercise, we feel like, we are doing sprints. So go slowly and feel the burn in core. As your core strengthens, increase the pace.
Upper Abs Exercise #8: Toe Touch Crunch
- On the floor with back pressed against the floor. Keep your arm down on the floor.
- Elevate your leg in the air until it is perpendicular to the ground. Now lift your arm fully. This is the starting position.
- Using your core strength, lift your hand to touch your toes. Remember to exhale while going up.
- Now slowly come down while inhaling. This completes one repetition.
Upper Abs Exercise #9: Bosu Bicycle Crunch
- Balance yourself lower middle body firmly on the bosu with leg straight. Now lift the knee in a table tabletop position to
make 45 angles.
- Keep your hand behind your neck and interlock the fingers.
- Now tighten you Abs and lift your head slightly up. With the slow motion of both leg and arm, touch your right elbow with your left knee while straightening your right leg. Now do the same with left elbow and right knee.
Exercise for Advance Level
Upper Abs Exercise #10: Cable Crunches
- Attach a rope to the pulley and kneel down.
- Now grasp the rope and pull it down until it your hand is next to the face.
- Now keep your torso straight, you have to flex your trunk to touch your knee to elbow.
- When you flex your trunk down, use your core muscle by inhaling in, and pause for more than 1 second to feel the intensity.
- Now slowly extend your back and Abs to return to the starting position by exhaling. This completes your one repetition.
Do this exercise slowly with 1 second pause when you touch your knee to elbow.
Tips: As it is advanced crunch you should firstly concentrate on light weight, but you can increase the weight you strengthen your core.
Also, you can use variation by pulling rope with one hand for maximum pressure one side. To do this, your right elbow should touch your left knee while with left elbow should touch right knee.
Upper Abs Exercise #11: TRX Body Saws
It is another challenging exercise for your Upper Abs. Primary muscle this exercise is Upper Abs (Rectus Abdominis and Serratus
Anterior) and core. Along with it will strengthen Shoulder, Glutens, Oblique Pectoral, Hip Flexor and Abductor muscles. As it is for intermediate, it requires good core to do the exercise.
During this exercise we need should be able to perform plank exercise atleast for 40-60 second. If you can hold the plank exercise for 40-60 seconds, you are ready for this exercise.
- Adjust yourself and take plank position. Know put your leg in TRX straps with your elbow touching to the ground below your face.
- Now using your core muscle take position same as a plank.
- You are now ready to do the exercise. Push yourself forward as much as possible by maintaining a plank position. Now back to the same position. You complete one reputation with this.
Tip: You should remember that you are doing same as a pendulum. Keep your core tight while doing forward motion, keeping your leg straight.
Upper Abs Exercise #12: Overhead Decline Weighted Sit-ups
- Lie on a decline bench holding weight plate or dumbbell or exercise ball with both arms extended above the chest.
- Perform this exercise by sit-ups using your core. Move your hand above your head when you rise. Tip: Inhale when you tighten your core and exhale while you rise up.
- Lower upper body down to starting position while inhaling. This complete one repetition.
Upper Abs Exercise #13: Abs Wheel Rollouts
Yet another challenging exercise that will increase burn in core. You can do this exercise Abs Wheel or Barbell. At the beginning
you will feel tough to continue this exercise, but go down as much as possible. But as your core strength starts increasing you can extend further.
- Hold the Ab roller in your hand and kneel on the floor.
- Place the Ab roller in front of your knee.
- Now slowly roll down, stretching your core. Keep your Abs muscle firm to support the motion.
- Breathe in and go slowly as far as possible.
- Slowly come to normal position while releasing the breath. This complete one repetition.
Upper Abs Exercise #14: Sicilian Crunches
Sicilian crunch is another tough crunches for your upper abs. It will be challenging for Intermediate as well as for advanced level
people. During this crunches we are going to lift weight opposite to the gravity which will create pressure around upper Abs as well as along the whole core. So try this tough crunch to get maximum result.
- Lie down on the ground with one dumbbell in your hand. Hold one side of a dumbbell with both hands across the chest.
- Now slide your leg forward, towards handles of the heavy dumbbell for grip.
- Now rise you upper body with lower body touching the ground. Raise your hand full straight above the head and hold for 4 seconds. Now slowly relax to the same position of beginning. This completes your one repetition.
You can increase weight or simply increase the time from 4 seconds to 5-6 seconds as per comfort.
Upper Abs Exercise #15: Long arm weight end crunch
As Sicilian Crunches, long arm weight end Crunch is also effective and tough exercise that use force of gravity to train the upper
abs. So take maximum benefit of these exercise as they are best exercise to strengthen the core without risking any form of injury, as we can perform this in controlled motion.
- Lie on the floor with leg flat to the ground. You can also keep your leg slightly bend.
- Take your hand behind the neck clasped keeping hand next your ear.
- Now extend your hand and lift your upper body slightly up and later lower it. This complete 1 repetition.
Tips: Hold for few second but avoid pressure on your neck. To perform this tighten your core muscle to lift.