Gone are the days when only crunches and sit ups were used to build hard abs. It is time to incorporate various techniques of training if you want the abdominal muscles to grow considerably.
Plank exercise is a type of static training that uses the isometric mode of training to work the abs. Read on further for different
Read on further for different variations of plank exercises.
Plank Exercise #1: Regular planks
- Assume a push-up position initially and rest on the ground putting your elbows and fists on the floor. Try to keep your body as straight as possible.
- Flex your abs and contract the core muscles. Squeeze the glutes and try to remain stable in the position.
- Eventually, you will feel the burn in your abdominal muscles. This is where the isometric training kicks in.
- Perform planks for 20-30 seconds. Time yourself every time you do this exercise and gradually increase the hold time limit.
Tip: If holding a regular plank seems tough for you, start by resting your knees on the floor and holding the position. Gradually, raise the knees off the ground.
Plank Exercise #2: Side planks
- Rest one forearm and the same side leg on the floor such that your body is rested on the toe.
- Lifting your body in a gentle manner, keep the position for some time.
- You’ll feel the contraction in your oblique muscles. Time yourself for 20-30 seconds and increase gradually. Do 2-3 of these reps.
Plank Exercise #3: Plank walkouts
- Assume a push-up position with your forearms on the floor and gently walk behind till your body is stretched forward fully.
- Come back to the original position.
It a combination of static as well as dynamic mechanism to work out the abs and shows excellent results if done.
Plank Exercise #4: Plank twists
- Starting in the regular plank position, hold one forearm on the ground firm and raise the other arm straight in the air, twisting your oblique muscles located on the other side.
- Repeat the same procedure for the other side too. Do 10-12 such repetitions.
It is a good exercise to work the obliques and get rid of love handles.
Plank Exercise #5: Exercise ball planks with leg lifts
- Extend your body straight and position your feet on a Swiss ball.
- Start lifting the right leg first and squeeze the glutes. Lower the foot and repeat the same for the left foot.
Plank Exercise #6: Plank arm and leg raises
- Start in the regular plank position, the only difference in this exercise being, raise the left arm straight forward and the right foot. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat the same for the other side.
Plank Exercise #7: Plank up downs
- Start in the regular plank position, lowering your right arm first and touching the right elbow.
- Bring the right arm back and repeat the same procedure for the left arm.
- Do 12-15 reps.
It more of a dynamic exercise that lays stress on the core muscles and activates them.
Plank Exercise #8: Forearm Plank
1. Starting with the traditional plank position, ensure that the shoulders are in line with your arms.
2. Lower your body down such that your elbows gently touch the ribs, and your whole body is in one straight line. Feel the contraction in your core.
Tip: Keep just the toes and your palms on the floor. Gradually increase the intensity of the exercise and just rest your body on your fingers.
Plank Exercise #9: Knee-to-outside plank
1. Begin in the standard plank position and move your right foot forward to the outside of your right elbow. Hold this position for 5-6 seconds first and increase the hold time gradually.
2. Do the same on the other side. Perform 8-10 reps and two more sets.
Plank Exercise #10: Plank hip dips
1. Start in the normal plank position. Now you’ll perform a dynamic movement starting from regular planks to side planks, twisting your obliques.
2. Regular plank position to side plank position on the right side will be the first rep and the same for the other side will be the second rep. Do 20 total such reps.
You Will also Like:
Latest posts by Deepak Kevat (see all)
- Step By Step Guide For Transformation [Weight Loss & Health] - 16 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Ultimate Step By Step Guide To Lose Weight Successfully - 4 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Failure: Look Over These 6 Mistakes - 8 July, 2017