Canola oil and olive oil are both considered as heart healthy oils. Health conscious folks prefer these oils for cooking and baking.
Though both oils are healthy, the two oils are entirely different from each other. The health benefits, however, are similar in many ways.
Olive oil is extracted by pressing ripe olives; on the other hand canola oil is a vegetable oil obtained from a hybrid of the rapeseed plant.
The nutritional value, fat content, and taste of these oils can vary, but the health benefits of both of these oils can construct big litany.
Canola oil origin VS Olive oil origin
Canola oil was extracted from rapeseed plant since 1970 when Canadian scientists converted rapeseed oil into edible oil.
These days, Canola oil is extracted from the rapeseed through selective breeding techniques. With the help of selective breeding techniques, harmful and bitter substances can be removed from the rapeseeds, and useful and tasteful materials can be extracted.
Term “canola” is an abbreviation of Canada Oil, Low Acid. Canola isn’t a single plant from which canola oil is extracted; it is rapeseed from which oil is derived by making it hybrid. Around 90 % of canola crops (from which canola oil is extracted) are genetically modified.
Canola is cultivated mainly in the Prairie regions of Canada, and some land in Ontario and the Pacific Northwest also include Canola plants. The North-central and South-eastern USA also cultivate small quantities of the plant. Canada, however, is the main region where it is found in abundance.
Special techniques are used to extract useful oil and eliminate harmful substance from canola. These techniques are applied right from the inception of the process. In short, we can say that canola oil is extracted from rapeseeds, which are bred for the removal of unfavorable substances.
Olive oil is fruit oil, which is extracted from the fruit of the olive tree (olive). Olive is a tree crop that is grown in the Mediterranean Basin.
The Olive trees primarily belong to the Oleaceae family. The accurate origins of the olive tree are still a mystery, though.
The olive tree is one of the oldest cultivated trees. It is believed that oil from the olive fruit was one of the many numerous attributes that made the bitter olive fruit useful enough to contribute in its domestication. Ancient Greeks even believed that olive trees are a direct gift of God to human beings.
Canola oil manufacturing VS Olive oil manufacturing
Canola oil is manufactured at high temperatures by the means of a mechanical process that often occupy toxic chemicals, such as hexane.
This oil is degummed, deodorized, bleached and refined at high temperatures to obtain an edible version of this oil. The manufacturing process of canola oil is totally different from olive or other vegetable oils.
It involves seed cleaning, seed pre-conditioning, flaking, seed cooking (seeds are thermally cooked), pressing, solvent extraction, meal desolventizing and toasting, oil refining, further processing and then refining.
The process also involves several steps of crushing and rinsing the olive fruit to extract the oil from it.
- Olives are harvested from the olive tree and then washed properly.
- After that olives are crushed. During ancient times, two big stones were used to crush the olives, but nowadays steel blades are used for crushing olive fruits.
- The consequential paste obtained from crushing is stirred adequately (by machines) to liberate the oil droplets in the maceration process.
- The remaining paste is put into bags or baskets; these bags are then pressed.
- Hot water is supplied over the pressed bags to obtain the remaining oil, and the dreg of the paste was washed then.
- The obtained liquid from the pressed bags are collected into a reservoir where the oil is put to settle and split from the water. Then the oil is strained off, through the skimming process.
- The olive oil is separated by hand and ladle. In winters, a small quantity of salt is added to oil in order to speed up the separation process.
- After the oil gets separated, the oil gets settled in vats suited for olive oil manufacturing process, and then is separated from it again.
- At last when the oil gets fully separated from the water and paste, it undergoes refining process, where all impurities are refined from the oil.
Canola oil nutrients VS Olive oil nutrients
Olive oil is considered as ahealthy oil because it contains good nutrients in abundance. As compared to Canola oit, the nutrient content of olive oil is much higher. Olive oil contains antioxidants, poly-phenols and omega-3 fatty acids in large quantities. This magical oil is a good source of Vitamins E and vitamin K. Also loaded with benefactor fatty acids, the primary nutrients of olive oil are saturated fat, mono-saturated fat, and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. These matters are biologically active in this oil and some of these can help in fighting with serious diseases. In order to grab nutritional advantages of olive oil, it is recommended that you should opt for extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the purest form of olive oil and contains a maximum number of nutrients.
Canola oil is refined oil, so just like other refined oils, nutritional content of Canola oil is also low. Though vitamin E and vitamin K are found in canola oil in small quantities, this oil also contains saturated fats, mono saturated fats and poly saturated fats. Therefore, the low saturated fat substance of canola oil is completely inappropriate, which is highlighted in its marketing slogans. Canola oil contains high quantity of monounsaturated fats, which are good for health. These fats are also found in olive oil.
As far as good nutrition is concerned, olive oil wins any day over canola oil.
Canola oil health Benefits Vs Olive oil benefits:
Canola oil contains good fats in high quantities while bad fat in low quantities. You can consume canola oil to lower your cholesterol level. Since canola oil’s cholesterol level is also low, it makes canola oil beneficial for heart health. Antioxidant property of canola oil also makes it one of the most suited oils for good health. Regular consumption of canola oil helps in sustaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes by shielding it from injurious oxygen-free radicals.
Canola is smoke free oil, you can use this oil for deep frying purpose. Deep fried stuff of canola oil isn’t as dangerous as other oils. This vegetable oil is agood source of vitamin E, helping treat some types of cancer. Health experts also say that canola oil can keep your mind sharp and prevent memory loss. Canola oil is also known for reducing inflammation. Its consumption can provide ease in joint pain and stiffness. This oil is found useful for folks bearing inflammation because of chronic arthritis. Canola oil can even provide soothe in inflammation which is caused due to asthma or bowel disorders.
There are plenty of skin benefits with Canola oil too. A natural glow to the skin can be achieved with this oil, that has the natural quality to fight with signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots etc. Acne spots can be treated using this oil too. This is the reason why many skin care products like cream and lotion use canola oil as their main ingredient. You can make use of canola oil based creams and lotions on daily basis. These beauty products can definitely enhance your beauty and grace.
People having dry skin can use canola oil or canola oil based creams during any season. They can also try canola oil massage. This oil can provide soothe and clam instantly. Many beauty experts in reputable beauty salon use canola oil to give luxury body massage of canola oil. Specially when combined with fish oil, canola oil can treat many kinds of skin infections like heels, eczema, acne, alligator skin and many more.
The Canola seed oil is extremely advantageous to the hair health. Hot oil hair massage of canola oil is an outstanding treatment which can treat hair problems like dryness, breakage, split ends and frizzy hair. Canola oil is an economical and extremely effective remedy for bendy and damaged hair. The quality of hairs can be accentuated highly using this.
Faces with lots of challenges like sunlight, UV rays, pollution and chemical attacks, the natural sheen and shine of hair gets lots. Canola oil extracts have quality to revamp the hair and bring back the natural luster. Regular massage of hot canola oil in your scalp can solve many hair care problems like frizz, split ends, hair fall, dry hair, damage hair, dandruff and many more. This is the reason many reputable brands make use of canola oil in their products.
In terms of health benefits, olive oil is unbeatable. The health advantages of olive oil are wide-rangin. One important cardiologist suggests two tablespoons of olive oil (extra virgin) every day to enjoy sheer health benefits of olive oil. Here is a quick glance at the health benefits of olive oil:
Health Benfits Of Olive Oil
- Improves elasticity of arteries: Regular consumption of extra virgin olive oil can be great for arteries. This will increase elasticity of arteries. You can consume olive oil in food as well as in salad. This oil will definitely give you advantages.
- Reduces bad cholesterol levels: Olive oil contain polyphenols naturally; polyphenols are known to reduce cholesterol levels to great extent. Very good for the human heart.
- Suppresses hunger: Olive oil reduces hunger. Including olive oil in your diet will make you feel less hungry. Olive oil can provide great support to your weight loss program.
- Prevents Cancer: The phytonutrients present in olive oil can reduce the risk of breast cancer. Olive oil components play significant role in cancer prevention. This is the reason health care experts and health conscious people and healthy people include olive oil in their diet.
- Reduces risk of heart diseases: As olive oil is known for reducing cholesterol level, so it can reduce risk of heart diseases. Thus, it promotes healthy heart health. It is found in researches that people who use olive oil as their cooking oil are less prone to heart related diseases. Many studies reveal that aged people who have olive oil rich food in their diet are in lesser danger of attracting heart strokes. An Italian research also proves that olive oil lowers the risk of coronary heart disease in women.
- Reduces acne: Olive oil is considered good for skin health. Unlike other oil which creates acne and pimples on skin, olive oil has property to reduce acne. Olive oil can give you flawless skin which you have always desired. Many famous beauty care brands make use of olive oil to prove beauty solutions. This oil can give variety of beauty benefits like fair skin tone, pimple free skin, reduce acne mark, prevent aging, bring natural glow on skin, reduce pimple marks, prevent acne, and give deep moisturizer to skin. Girls… Are you ready to change your oil?
- Protects red blood: Olive oil protects red blood cells. The polyphenol present in olive oil prevents the oxidization of red blood cells. When red blood cells get oxidized, they create aging. Thus indirectly olive oil can prevent aging and signs of aging on your skin.
- Promotes healthy hairs: Olive oil is best for hair care health. Many reputable and big hair salons make use of olive oil in their popular hair care treatment. Olive oil provides strength to hairs and nourishes them from root to tip. The dryness, frizz, dandruff, split ends, damage hair and hair fall problems can be treated with the help of olive oil. This oil can provide sheen and shine in your hair. Olive oil is also known for providing natural conditioning to hairs. You will observe great improvement in the quality of your hair by making use of olive oil.
- Treats sunburn: Olive oil can pacify the pain of mild sunburn by aiding skin to retain its moisture. In order to treat sunburn, you can use equal quantities of olive oil and water. You have to put water and oil in packed container and shake well, then applying to mild sunburn parts of your body. This will provide instant soothe from sunburn and after using this water and olive oil mixture for some time, you will observe that sunburn marks get disappeared later.
- Promotes healthy lips: Olive oil is great for lips. It can act as natural lip balm. You can apply olive oil directly on your lips. This oil will give you naturally soft and shiny lips. And this softness isn’t temporary, it lasts for a long span of time.
- Makes you live longer: Yes! Olive oil has a property which can increase your life. No, it isn’t any magical drink or portion which can dramatically increase years of your life. But it is sheer truth that eating a healthy diet can make you live longer. Olive oil can become important part of the healthiest diet on earth. You can team olive oil up with other healthy food and observe unbeatable results.
- Minimizes cellulite: It is anticipated that olive oil can reduce the cellulitelevel. The mixture of olive oil and coffee is considered as great treatment for minimizing the cellulite level.
- Controls blood pressure: Olive oil is also considered good for controlling blood pressure. People having blood pressure problem can get relief by including olive oil in their regular diet plan. As this oil is beneficial for lowering the cholesterol level, it provide soothe in controlling blood pressure. If you include olive oil in your regular life, even without having any blood pressure problem, you won’t have to face any blood pressure related problem in near future.
- Good for diabetic patients: Olive oil can be beneficial for diabetic patients. This oil doesn’t mandate sugar level to increase. It possesses low saturated fats content, helping diabetic patients lower the content of bad sugar.
- Helps in reducing weight: Olive oil is great oil for people who are dieting and want to lose weight. This oil can give appropriate support to your healthy and calorie free diet. The food cooked in olive oil is considered as a healthy eating option as compared to same food being cooked in any other oil. It means you can eat food of your choice by cooking it in olive oil. Now, you don’t have to rely on bitter and tasteless foods to support your diet. Get ready for healthy brunch with olive oil.
Canola oil risks VS Olive oil risks
Along with benefits, both oils have some risks associated with them.
Canola oil contains Omega-6 which can be dangerous for health. Some health studies suggested that if canola oil is heated at high temperature, it can result in health troubles like cardiovascular ailments, hypertension, fatness, diabetes and cancer.
One thing that makes canola oil dangerous is the fact that it is not natural oil; it is genetically engineered to manufacture canola oil, thus resulting in such dangerous side effects of canola oil.
Health experts also say that Canola Oil is partially hydrogenated oil so it isn’t a healthy option to become part of healthy oil.
During refining process, olive oil might produce acids and trans fats which aren’t at all healthy for the body. Some people might be allergic to olive oil and this oil can results diarrhea and other allergic reaction to such allergic people.
Also, smell and taste of olive oil is not that pleasant that a food lover can include it in his routine life. These are some listed side effects of olive oil.
Latest posts by Deepak Kevat (see all)
- Step By Step Guide For Transformation [Weight Loss & Health] - 16 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Ultimate Step By Step Guide To Lose Weight Successfully - 4 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Failure: Look Over These 6 Mistakes - 8 July, 2017