Due to continuous and long-lasting exercise, it’s a challenge to stay hydrated.
We eat various healthy foods to get essential nutrients.
Also, water is a most important nutrient for different functions of the body.
It is a life-supporting nutrient essential for many vital body functions. It is important before training, during training and after training.
Water is essential to maintain blood volume, regulate body temperature. It is important as supply nutrients and improves muscles contraction during exercise.
Staying hydrated during training is necessary for peak performance. It is important to get continues fluid supply to maintain the healthy fluid level in the body.
Ill-Effects of Dehydration on Sports Performance
As we know, water is an essential nutrient. During an exercise, there is a continuous loss of fluid from our body.
These increase the risk of dehydration. As fluid loss increases blood consistency is also increases. It slows the blood flow in the body. So heart struggles to supply the need of nutrients.
So it directly decreases sports performance. Loss of 2 percent of body fluid reduces 10-20 percent of sports performance.
Causes of Dehydration
- Long physical exercise without proper fluid intake between or after exercise.
- Excess loss of fluid during exercise.
- Excessive clothing.
- The increase in duration or intensity of exercise.
- Also, hot climate temperature increases dehydration.
Why Dehydration Occurs during Training
During exercise body sweats due to increase in temperature of the body.
Sweating is a vital function. It releases the excess body temperature produced during exercise.
So it is a major factor that maintains body temperature.
But to keep this temperature body loses excess fluid.
Our body tends to lose 1 liter of fluid in 60 minutes of exercise. It may also depend on the climate or the intensity of exercise.
To balance the body fluid and maintain the hydration level, the body needs a continuous supply of fluid.
To stay hydrated, you need to intake a small amount of fluid during exercise.
During long exercise about 200 ml after every 15 minutes of exercise. It will recover the loss of fluid and body will maintain the hydration level.
Symptoms Of Dehydration
- Loss of energy during exercise
- Increase in body temperature
- Pale urine
Its advanced symptoms
- Short of breath
Benefits of hydration during sports
- Improves sports performance
- Prevents injury or cramps
- Reduces the chance of dehydration and its ill effects symptoms
Best Hydration Drink
- Sports Drink like Gatorade, Lucozade or any sports drink
- Fruit juice
Sports drink, or fruit juice is best than water as it replace fluid loss and also nutrient is also recovered.
So it is important to stay hydrated throughout the exercise.
If you feel any symptoms above, take a break from exercise for 20 minutes.
Take 150-200 ml of water. You should take sports drink or also fruit juice to gain essential energy and nutrition.
If you feel advanced symptoms take a break from exercise and take necessary fluid.
Latest posts by Deepak Kevat (see all)
- Step By Step Guide For Transformation [Weight Loss & Health] - 16 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Ultimate Step By Step Guide To Lose Weight Successfully - 4 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Failure: Look Over These 6 Mistakes - 8 July, 2017