All these ingredients are baked or toasted until crisp; from this crunchy and clumpy consistency is obtained to the granola. Molasses, agave sugar or nectar and honey are often used to sweeten granola.
Granola is popular with most of the health conscious individuals. Granola can be formed with yogurt, chocolate, berries or with the seeds such as flax, chia and amaranth seeds. Oats are the key ingredient of most of the granola.
Oats are the key ingredient of most of the granolas. Oats, a fibre-rich whole grain offers a heap of health benefits.
Nutrition facts of Granola
The serving size and ingredients present in the granola that you consume have a key impact on the ultimate nutrition facts.
As per the USDA, 1 bowl of homemade granola can have approximately 600 calories, 29 grams of fat, 18 grams of protein, carbohydrates about 65 grams, 24.5 grams of sugar and 11 grams of fiber.
However, the nutritional facts of granola can vary based on the ingredients used for preparing granola. It is delicious and provides energy for your body.
One cup of granola is evaluated to have about 450-470 calories; it is based on the ingredients used to prepare it.
It contains about 9% protein, 23% fat and 68% carbohydrates. The balanced nutrition makes the snack fit for the breakfast, and it is considered as a light snack that is good for health.
Health Benefits of Granola
- The grains and nuts in granola offer the best source of fiber for having digestive health.
- Eating granola can help to lower the cholesterol and blood pressure level and aid in preventing various chronic health conditions such as cancer and heart disease. It is excellent for managing good heart health.
- It is a type of snack continuing whole grains, dried fruits, and nuts. Oats a whole grain that is used as the primary ingredient in this snack can help in lowering your blood pressure level of your body as they are low in sodium content and high in potassium.
- Oats also have high iron content and these aids with iron deficiency.
- Nuts and whole grains are the main ingredients of this food, and they are rich in dietary fiber. Fiber aids in regulating digestion and also prevents constipation. Soluble fiber that is present in oats is specifically useful for lowering bad cholesterol in the blood. This fiber binds with bile acids, containing cholesterol in the digestive tract of your body and it eliminates the bad cholesterol from the body.
- Granola is the excellent source of healthy fats that comes from seeds, oils and nuts present in the granola. The two forms fat namely polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats that are obtained in granola can help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It also helps in reducing inflammation.
- It can also aid to avoid or manage diabetes, heart disease, inflammatory conditions, and cancer. A kind of polyunsaturated fatty acid known as Omega-3 fatty acid present in granola is vital for proper functioning of the brain.
Granola a good source of vitamins and minerals
Foods containing whole grains such as granola contain more minerals and vitamins per serving when compared to refined cereals. Thiamin, Vitamin E and folate are present in significant quantities, in this snack food.
Vitamin E provided by the seeds, oils and nuts and other ingredients of granola acts as an antioxidant to protect your body from destructive free radical compounds.
It also plays a vital role in maintaining your nervous system, skin and heart. Folate and Thiamin type of Vitamin B aid in nerve function, metabolism, and cell growth and also prevents some neural tube birth deficiencies.
It contains minerals that are essential for your bodies such as phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc and copper. Magnesium takes part in over 300 enzyme reactions in your body and also aids in energy production. Phosphorus aids in balancing acid-base in your body.
Copper, selenium, zinc, manganese are required in small amounts to your body, and they are essential in the development of bones, red blood cells, and connective tissues. These minerals also aid in maintaining healthy immune, cardiovascular and nervous system function.
They aid in regulating the thyroid and also help in proper healing. Granola is the best food with a high source of essential nutrition. You can incorporate granola into your healthy diet to have good health results.
You can buy the granola from your nearest retail store. There is a different flavor of granola such as chocolate, apple pie, pumpkin pie, maple pancake, grain free granola and more. You can also prepare the granola by yourself in your home.
Homemade granola is healthier and delicious. Most of the granola found in stores is high in sugar, and it can also contain unhealthy oils and fats. It is usually packed with unnecessary ingredients and fillers. Here is a granola recipe for you to make granola at home.
Preparing granola at home is truly easy, and quick. It lets you control the quality of ingredients and amount of sugar, and you can also include the flavors that you want in the granola. Whole oats are good for health. They are rich in fiber, protein and also contain essential vitamins and minerals. You can make use of whole rolled oats as the main ingredient to prepare granola.
Coconut oil is a great choice that is full of nutrients and adds a nice flavor to granola, but, however, you can use any of your favorite healthy oil, macadamia nut oil is also a good choice. Using the olive oil can give a strong flavor. You can add a variety of nuts and seeds for providing texture and flavor to homemade granola. To sweeten granola you can use raw organic honey or maple syrup. You can keep the sugar content as per your taste. Low sugar content could be better for good health. The basic recipe provided below is sufficient for making granola of three cups.
Preparation time required is about 10 minutes and can serve 4 to 6 person. Use organic, raw ingredients as much as possible. These measurements of ingredients are flexible. You can prepare granola based on your requirements.
- Whole rolled oats 2 cups, ½ cup of chopped raw nuts
- ¼ cup of raw seeds either pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of chopped unsweetened dried fruits (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 2 table spoons of healthy cooking oil like coconut or any other, ½ teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract of your choice
- 1 large pinch sea salt
Method of preparation
- You must first warm the oven to 3000F. Mix the above-mentioned ingredients in a large mixing container and mix it by utilising spoon or can use your clean hands to combine the ingredients well and then toss to coat; it can be messy and sticky.
- Coconut oil which you used can be solid or liquid based on the room temperature. Combine the ingredients well and assure that there are no any chunks of the oil that you used is left.
- Spread the ingredient mixture on a baking sheet, use the thin layer of the same and allow it for 10 minutes to bake, until it is toasted lightly. Cool prior storing or serving.
You can keep the prepared granola into the container in a cool or dry place for about 10 to 15 days. You can make use alternative ingredients and can make the granola with the ingredients of your choice. Homemade granola taste much better, and it is healthier.
Granola can serve as a snack, dessert, and also as an energy food. You can also prepare granola bars easily at your home.
Granola bars can be made using different ingredients; some of the popular flavors of granola bars are chocolate granola bars, almond granola bars, chewy granola bars, bars with dates and nuts, Pumpkin seed granola bars, granola bars of banana bread, healthy granola bars and more.
The above said granola bars can be made easily at home. Homemade granola bars are much healthier, tastier, and inexpensive than those found in the market. You can make granola bars at your home easily if you have a good recipe.
Helpful tips for successfully preparing homemade granola bars
You must read the recipe properly prior beginning the preparation of granola. Assure that you have all the needed ingredients and equipment to prepare granola.
You must make use of the specified size of pan so as to have your granola bars the right thickness, texture and make sure that they are baked properly.
Cover the baking pan with foil, the foil that you use must extend over the edges at least on two sides and by at least 1 inch as it can aid in easy removal of bars from the pan and also for clean-up. It will make handles for lifting the granola bars from the pan once it is properly baked and cooled.
You can line the pan with foil by turning the pan upside down and then you must take a piece of foil that is longer than the pan and must place it above the pan. Wrap the foil properly around the pan and remove it carefully.
Make use of plastic or metal measuring cups for accurately measuring dry ingredients and clear glass measuring cups having a spout for measuring liquid ingredients. Prior scooping into the measuring cup, you must fluff the flour with whisk and level it with a flat side of spatula or knife. Use the fat that is specified that is in the recipe.
Soft, liquid, whipped and reduced fat butter or margarines containing too much water will not produce the good results. It is very imperative to preheat the oven for about 15 minutes and then use the oven thermometer to check whether the oven temperature is accurate for baked granola bars. Before serving, you have to cool your granola bars for some time. Proper cooling is imperative before storing the granola bars.
Here is a recipe for chewy, crunchy granola bars:
As mentioned earlier, homemade granola bars are tastier and healthier than the commercial ones. You can prepare them with the kinds of nuts and fruits that you like the best. Ingredients required for making granola bars;
- Rolled oats 2 cup
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- ½ cup of wheat germ (toasted)
- butter 3 tablespoon
- 2/3 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla and ¼ cup of light sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of chopped apricots, pitted dates and raisins.
- Oven should be warmed for about 350 degrees prior using. Line a 9-inch pan with foil. Spread the rolled oats, nuts, and coconut flakes over the baking sheet and then bake them for 15 minutes.
- Stir once or twice for ensuring even cooking. Remove the pan and allow it for cooling. Lessen the oven temperature to 300 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the oat, nut and wheat germ with a wooden ladle until mixed. Place the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, honey and salt in a tiny saucepan and bring these ingredients to boil in medium heat.
- Stir when cooking and then pour the mixture on the oatmeal mixture. Add the dried fruits and mix well. Spread the prepared mixture into the baking pan. Press the mixture smoothly into the pan with your clean and wet fingers. Bake the granola bars until they are golden brown, say about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from your oven and then keep it on a wire rack for cooling the granola bars completely. Lift the piece of bars from the cooking pan with the support of the foil as handles and keep on the cutting board. You can now cut the granola bars into the desired shape and size.
These bars of granola can stay for about 5 to 6 days when kept in room temperature.
Why homemade granola bars are better than store-bought?
Homemade granola bars are healthier and delicious than those granola bars that are found in the local stores. Granola bars found in stores can have high trans fats, corn syrup, artificial flavors, preservatives, sweeteners, and many other unwanted ingredients.
Homemade granola bars will not contain all the above-mentioned ingredients and you can prepare them fresh and can consume it safely as it contains only the best ingredients. They are fresh and can taste better rather than those that are bought from the stores.
You can also prepare them without using the ingredients that you dislike. Preparing granola at home is truly enjoyable and fun. You can prepare the granola bars of your choice and can explore the taste of healthy granola bars.
Granola bars made in a home are the ideal snacks for any time of the day; it can be consumed as a healthy breakfast, or as an afternoon snack. Homemade recipes truly make granola bars healthier and tastier and also inexpensive than the kind from the stores. There is an excellent assortment of the recipe for you to pick from the cooking magazines, cookbooks or the internet recipe sites.
These bars come in an array of styles, and flavors. Some of the granola bars are chewy, and some other is crunchy. Some can have a long ingredient list, and some can be prepared with only a few ingredients. You must consider your taste and favorite ingredients when finding the recipe for granola bars. Once you find the best recipe of your choice of making granola bars, you can start preparing the delicious bars at your home.
It is the snack food that is consumed by many of the health oriented people. It is the best snack food item with a high nutrient value. As mentioned earlier, granola has many health benefits. It helps to prevent many dangerous diseases. The food is made from the ingredients that are rich essential fatty acids and vitamins. Overall it is the right food for maintaining good health. Granola is available in different flavors.
You can select the one of your choices and can consume the granola to maintain a healthy body. A granola bar is available in almost all the retail store either you can buy or prepare the delicious granola bars at your home.
Granola is the favorite snack food for many of the kids and is very delicious and healthy food. It can serve as a snack or as a breakfast. It improves your metabolism and aids to have a healthy body. It offers many health benefits to you. This is tasty and healthy food that everyone likes to eat
You will also like other article:
Latest posts by Deepak Kevat (see all)
- Step By Step Guide For Transformation [Weight Loss & Health] - 16 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Ultimate Step By Step Guide To Lose Weight Successfully - 4 August, 2017
- Weight Loss Failure: Look Over These 6 Mistakes - 8 July, 2017