Running is a very good sport or a fitness routine to stay fit.
Running provides total health benefits to a runner. If you start a running routine, it is most important to get new running shoes.
Running shoes provides excellent cushion and comfort to the foot during running.
Good running shoes minimize running injuries. Today there are many running shoes like Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Asics and many more.
You can approach any running shoes outlet and search for best shoes for your foot types and comfort.
Running injuries are common to every runner. It can be prevented to a large extent by following some steps:
- Replace old shoes with new shoes. Runners should not run with their shoes if they have run 500-600 miles on those shoes. Due to constant running on a shoe their sole are damaged which provides a cushion to our foot that prevent injuries. So it’s better not to use those damaged shoes.
- Start exercise with warm-up and stretching. Always start with slow pace run for 5 minutes and stretch properly.
- Stretching is always recommended as the top priority to prevent injuries. So stretch regularly to avoid stress. Always start or end any exercise routine with stretching.
- Don’t ever ignore pain. Pain in the only indication that tells you that something is wrong in your training. So take a rest day and go through your mistake you are making while running. If pain doesn’t recover within 24 hours, then it is a good choice to go to a doctor.
- A healthy diet is essential to stay fit and energetic. A proper nutrition care helps you to heal your injury. As a good diet contributes to generating new cells and repair wear and tear of muscle caused by running.
Running injury are mostly short-term which can recover within few days or a week. So after a few days of rest, you can get back to running.
But taking care and precaution, you will able to run long and safe without any injuries.
Some of the leg injury caused due to running are a hip pain, ankle injury, calf injury, heel pain, shin splints, inflation in tendon known as tendonitis, heel pain, hamstring injury, sore knee or sore feet and also back injury.
So it is better to prevent such injuries that can stop running practice for any race or any significant event.
Running Injuries are of 5 Types
1. Shin splint: – Shin splint refers to lower leg injury. These injuries are caused due to over-training or excess stress. It is caused due to overload on shin bone and connective tissues. It leads to excess stress on the lower leg and thus injures the muscles.
2. Runner’s knee: – Pain in knee refers to runner’s knee. It is caused due stress due to increase in the intensity of running program. It may cause due to weak quadriceps.
3. Iliotibial band syndrome: – Iliotibial band injuries are most common due to weak hip abductors muscles.
4. Achilles Tendonitis: – Achilles’ muscles connect calf muscle to heel muscle. Achilles injuries are mostly due to training frequently and also with high intensity.
5. Heel Injuries (Planter Fasciitis):- Heel injuries are caused due to overload and stress on the heel.