Everyone desires to have lower abs.
The fact is that the upper abdominals are quite easy to exercise whereas the lower abs are challenging, as they tend to be placed under a layer of fat.
The article outlines some of the best exercises for building lower abs.
Lower Abs Exercise #1. Planks
This exercise is excellent for integrating the entire core, training the muscles of the lower back, abdominals and more.
You can easily perform this exercise by following the steps stated below
- To begin with, you must stand on your hands and place the knees on the floor, similar to a push up position. Lower yourself to down your elbows ensuring that most of your body weight is resting on the back portion of your forearms. Then, slowly place your feet behind as if you are in a push-up position and resting properly on the balls of your feet. Your body must form a straight line without any sag, and this will be your starting positions.
- Press your heels and straighten your legs. This exercise will help to activate your abdominal muscles and make them tight.
- Hold in this particular position for a longer time meanwhile maintains proper form. You must also keep exhaling to aid the abdominal contraction.
Perform 1 to 3 sets and hold the position for longer duration in each session.
If you do this exercise for over 2 minutes at a time, you can build the lower abs efficiently.
Lower Abs Exercise #2. Reverse crunches
It is another great core workout and focuses on integrating your exhalation along with contraction of the lower abs muscles. The more you exhale, the more capable you will be to strengthen and build your lower ab.
The most important tip to remember is that your lungs get compressed by this movement and allow the air to be squeezed out from your lungs.
- Begin this exercise by sitting flat on your back, keep your legs straight and position your hands at sides. Raise your legs off the ground and be in a bent knee position. It is will be the starting position of this exercise.
- Exhale your breath out from your lungs and simultaneously lift your legs up and bend your knees. Continue lifting until your glutes rise off the floor and then try to bring the thighs near to your belly and the knees must be positioned towards your head.
- If possible continue to exhale and then bring your knees towards the sides of your head and then press your legs backward. This requires complete exhale.
- After exhaling completely, and when you find that you cannot reach further back with your legs, then gradually allow them to track back and attain the starting position of the exercise such that lowering a vertebrate of the spine down at a time.
Perform 1 to 3 sets of the above-stated exercise for about 10-15 slow repetitions.
Lower Abs Exercise #3. Hanging Leg Raises
It is one among the advanced lower abs exercise requiring something that you can hang from like pull up bar and more.
- Start this exercise by holding onto on any overhead bar and hang loosely in the air. You must actively pack your shoulders such that it is onto your ribcage and ensure that your shoulders are not raised up near your ears.
- Exhale and gradually lift your legs in the air in front of you merely folding at the hips. Try to exhale for a longer duration and lift your legs simultaneously. The higher you lift the leg, the more you must exhale. You can also perform this with straight legs.
- Remember, you must take very little air into your lungs.
Perform 1-3 sets of the exercise for about 10 to 20 slow repetitions.
These are few of the top exercises that aid in building your lower abs. There are various other exercises such as weight crunch, bicycle crunches, the mine, pulse ups and more to help you to achieve your lower abs goals.
If you perform the lower abs exercise for twice a week for about 4 to 8 weeks, then you can build a solid foundation of lower abs. These exercises truly help you to build stronger lower abs.
You can eat good foods such as almonds, rice, soy, berries, turkey, yogurt, natural peanut butter and more. A balanced diet and proper exercises will surely aid in having a healthy and strong body.