Running or any sports activity needs a continuous flow of energy. To maintain a proper training routine and to train injury free it is important to maintain an adequate diet.
A healthy diet contains every nutrient in balanced quantity. Also, water is crucial nutrients for an athlete.
During a long workout like running, it forces the body to lose water. This water loss is known as dehydration.
Dehydration is the worst case in sports. Due to continuous exercise, an athlete tends to lose excess fluid. Due to this fluid loss, the body tends to lose essential minerals.
To prevent dehydration, it is important to stay hydrated. Staying hydrated is tough during exercise or any event.
The best way to stay hydrated is to drink water every 15-20 minutes of exercise training or events like the marathon.
To stay hydrated, a sports drink or electrolyte is a best hydrating fluid that will keep hydrated and provides essential minerals lost during exercise.
Effects And Symptoms of Dehydration
- Dehydration affects the physical activity. Dehydration decreases sports performance of an athlete.
- It slows the recovery of an athlete or a runner who are prone to injuries during running and increases muscle soreness.
- Dehydration increases muscle cramps.
- It also increases the weakness that affects their sports performance.
- It also increases heart beats.
- It also has various effects like dizziness, headache, thirst, dry mouth and dry skin.
- Dehydration increases body temperature and causes various ill-effects on the body.
Causes of Dehydration
- A longer physical exercise without proper fluid intake between or after exercise.
- Excess loss of fluid during exercise.
- Excessive clothing.
- Increase in duration or intensity of exercise.
- Also hot climate temperature increases dehydration.
Tips to Stay Hydrated and Treat Dehydration
- The athlete should consume adequate liquids during or after exercise to stay hydrated.
- Thirst is not a good indicator an athlete should consume liquid before they feel thirsty.
- During any event or hot climate, an athlete lose excess of fluid so to prevent dehydration consume fluid every 15 minutes and in enough quantity to gain fluids.
- A sports drink or an electrolyte drink during exercise is a good option as it helps to stay hydrated and also provides essentials minerals and energy to carry out the activity.
- Drink fluid whenever you get a chance to drink during any event.
Staying hydrated is important for every athlete to stay healthy and fit. It prevents any injuries or cramps caused during exercise.
It helps to recover quickly. Also, it benefits in increasing sports performance.
See also: Low Impact Aerobic Cardio Exercise